We are excited that you would like to join the College of Engineering Honors community! We have included some information for you regarding the application, interview process, and timeline.
Before starting your application, you will want to have the following ready:
- A resume
- Your course plan for completing your selected academic minor
- Responses to the short answer questions
- The names of the individuals who will be completing the online Honors Program Recommendation form
We require that each applicant have two people complete the Honors Program Recommendation form on their behalf. At least one recommender must be a University of Michigan professor. When students submit the application, recommenders will be notified automatically by email to complete the recommendation form. Recommenders will be asked to evaluate students on the following:
- Intellectual curiosity
- Demonstrated academic leadership
- Ability to work with others
- Academic engagement beyond the classroom
- Desire to make a positive impact in a chosen field
- Commitment to personal growth
Short Answer Questions
In the application, you will be prompted with two short answer questions (three for students applying for the EGL specialization). Please keep all responses to 250 words or less.
- Describe a time when you took initiative on an idea or project you were passionate about. Why is this idea or project important to you?
- What advice would you give to an incoming College of Engineering first-year student? Why?
- (EGL Specialization only) The Engineering Global Leadership (EGL) Honors specialization requires students to complete the CoE Honors program with a Global Business/Operations focus, culminating in a capstone project through the Tauber Institute for Global Operations. Explain why completing a project through the Tauber Institute aligns with your interests and potential career plans.
The application deadline for Fall term is October 10.
The application deadline for Winter term is March 8.
After the deadline passes, please allow a few weeks for our faculty and staff to review applications. Selected students will be contacted for interviews during October and November for the Fall term, or February and March for the Winter term. Students selected for an interview will receive additional information via email to prepare them for the interview process.
Prior to the submitting your application, make sure to ask two recommenders if they will complete the Honors Program Recommendation form (one must be a University of Michigan professor).
We encourage you to visit the ECRC to review your resume prior to submitting your materials.
If you have any questions about the application itself, please visit our Peer Advisors during walk-in hours.
After the deadline passes, the Honors faculty and staff will review the applications and will begin to offer interviews within one to three weeks after the deadline.
We see a large amount of applicants in the Fall term, which means interviews generally last about one month. Winter term interviews typically last two weeks.
Once all interviews are conducted, the Honors faculty and staff will make decisions, and inform the students accordingly. Admitted students will join the Michigan Engineering Honors Program the following term (students who interview in the Fall term begin the program in the Winter term; students who interview in the Winter term begin the program next Fall term).